Sunday, March 22, 2009

No Chart Today

Just a summary of the days events...

My 1st 5K today in Pasadena. I don't think anyone expected the cold rainstorm that blew into Southern California from Alaska. It wasn't really that cold but a bit of snow fell on the mountains. 

Was up at 4:25 AM to drive to Pasadena so I could arrive before they closed the parking lots. A nice 20 minute walk in the rain from the Cal Tech parking lot to the start line on Colorado Boulevard in front of Pasadena City College. I was there in time to watch the marathon and 1/2 marathon start in the rain. LOTS of participants! 

After those 4,312 runners went by it was time for the 5K start. There were 771 runner/walkers who finished between 17:03 and 4:00:00. That's 17 minutes for 1st and 4 hours for 771st. I came in 448th or 11th in my sex/age division, less than 5 minutes behind the 10th place guy.

Pretty good for my first race. If you know me, you know I've never been a runner. I'm anxious for the next race so I can see some improvement. I think I'll shoot for the LA Kings 5K run that goes around Staples Center in downtown LA. You get a free ticket to the hockey game that night. That's a great deal! It's on April 4th. Should be fun!

After I finished the 5K, the rain came pouring down and I found a tent to wait out the storm, but not before I grabbed lots of free samples of drinks and energy bars and other cool stuff from the vendors. 

Then it was up to Lucky Baldwin's in Sierra Madre for some fish & chips, Maredsous 6 Blonde Ale and a Nub Cameroon with my good friend Danny from Stogie Info

Now I'm chillaxin' and wondering what to grill for dinner. Still need to write 2 syllabi tonight for classes that start tomorrow. Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 5K and the great finish. No doubt I would have been 772.

    -- Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gratz on the 5K! Looks like you are really getting int this if you're already looking forward to the next race.

    Maredsous is the only beer Hvnly has tried and said that she likes, sadly it wasn't with her husband, it was with another man, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to get conditioned better at running myself. so far 3 miles is all i can do without killing myself. hopefully i will make it to 4 and 5.

    A free hockey ticket sounds good! go for it!!

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaron, No way! I thought I would have been much slower but running with the crowd was inspiration. Plus, I had to pee so I was in a hurry to find the porta-potties.

    Omar, Thanks! It wasn't me!

    Gil, 5K = 3 miles! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete