Monday, January 26, 2009

A little late

Well, I started my latest fitness kick on January 12, and I'm just now getting to creating a blog to track my progress. I tried Facebook and Windows Live Space but those sites don't suit my needs as well as this place.

I'll post a chart daily as I track my progress with this first phase.

Phase 1: Lose enough weight to reach "Normal" on the BMI Chart. For my height, that's 183 lbs. I started at 209.2, and I'm now at 200.6. Although I weighed 212.4 on January 6. That was my highest recorded weight to date. I say, "recorded" because I didn't weigh myself every day. My current projected target is February 18, when I reach a BMI of 24.9.

This time I am watching my calories rather than carbs as I did on previous diets. This means I eat more fruits and vegetables and much less fat. I'll miss my ribeye steaks but moderation is a virtue. A big, fat juicy ribeye will be my reward for progress!

Weekends are the toughest times because I'm around food. Weekends create blips on my chart. ;^)

Phase 2: Begin a running regiment again. I had to stop running when I discovered I had a bad case of metabolic arthritis. Very painful and caused by too much uric acid. So I now eat less protein, which means less steak and a whole list of foods that I was eating. 

Once I am able to run consistantly 3 - 4 times per week, I'll participate in my 1st 5K. I'm not sure which one I'll choose. Once I'm back running I'll start a training program and find a 5K that corresponds.

Phase 3: Back on the bike. Mountain and road. I'd like to train for a cyclo-cross. Stay tuned.

Phase 4: Not sure yet. 10K? 1/2 Marathon? Marathon?

WHY? Shouldn't we all be fit and healthy? I'm aided by technology. I can track my calories and my progress very easily with handheld devices such as my iPod Touch, BlackBerry Storm and my laptop. I embrace technology and believe it can help me be healthier so I live much longer. Now, what do I do about gin  and cigars. Quite a contradictory set of blogs, wouldn't you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment