Sunday, June 7, 2009

Running is Like a Martini

I meant to post this last week but I've been very busy. I can barely find the time to write this today.

Last Saturday I finished my 1st week of training as I look forward to the Disneyland Half Marathon on September 6. Each week's training increases my distance by 0.5 to 1 mile. So on Sunday I ran a nice 4 miles.

What? I've never run 4 miles at one time! The funny thing is, as I was beginning the last mile, I felt great. I mean, REALLY good. I'm pretty sure I set record time for me during that last mile. Unfortunately, my iPod and my Nike+ device we not cooperating and I was unable to electronically log that run on the Nike+ website. So I have no idea of what my time was. Grrrrr

As I was running that last mile and feeling good, I thought back to the LA5K on Memorial Day and remembered how good I felt during the last 1/2 mile or so. And that got me to thinking...

I remembered an old joke I had heard many years ago when I had my first martini. I drink my martinis like Frank Sinatra drank his, with gin, vermouth and olives. That's all. No sweetener. No foo foo. I've you've ever had a gin martini, you know the jolt you experienced when you took your first sip of your first martini.

But what is special about a gin martini is the last drop/sip/gulp. That last slug from the bottom of the glass is always the best. So what do you do? You order another!

So, as I experience that great feeling during my runs in the last mile or so, I want to run again. Just like the martini, I want another!

I've reached the point where I can now consider myself a "runner." I never thought I'd say that in a million years. But here I am, still going strong.

Now, I just gotta cut down on the steaks, stogies and stiff drinks and I'll be on my way to a great 13.1 mile run through Disneyland Park on Labor Day weekend. (Notice that I wrote "cut down" rather than "give up")

Significant events so far:
  • I've now run four 5Ks and I have the t-shirts to prove it! (Plus, two medals!)
  • I signed up for the Orange County Fair 5Ks. Yes. Two 5Ks. One on opening day of the fair and another on closing day.
  • I purchased new custom fit running shoes that are not broken in yet. I have 30 days to decide. Maybe I should have purchased the Nikes over the Sauconys. Hmmmmm
  • I'd like to pick up a used GPS wrist watch. I wonder were I could get one for a great price?
Back to work now....

No comments:

Post a Comment